Antique White and Smokey Slate Side Buffet Table

One day back in December-ish my husband and I were out doing a little shopping for materials for the build of the house.

As a part of our day out we decided to make a pit stop at Habitat for Humanity Restore.  Sitting right in the entry of walking in the front door was this beauty!!


I felt a nudging feeling... You know that feeling, right?  Yeah well this one was a little stronger...

......almost like I could actually feel the nudge


Oh wait that was a real nudge...

....that would be my husbands hand in my the side of my rib!


My only hesitation was that it came as a set with a hutch which I didn't mind taking, but also a table and SIX chairs.  Now...it was an amazing deal, but I already had 2 other tables and 3 THREE other sets of 6 SIX chairs...  That put me at 4 sets of 6 chairs...do the math and that makes me chair poor!!

Woe is me people!! Why because I really do not enjoy making over chairs, but this girl is up for the challenge...one day...just not today!

Back on track here...

So with the poking finger in my side from my wonderful husband, I went for it and made the purchase.

I had no idea what I wanted to do with the buffet.  Now that we have the booth I knew she needed to go there.  I started working on her and the top was damaged.  You really can't see it in the pictures, but it wasn't good.  Plus the veneer was pulling up and not in a good way.  So...I pulled it off.  And.....pulled, and then scraped.  It didn't all come off so I had to bust out the ole belt sander.

Oh may I just say...my back was super sore after using that baby.  It took a while to get whatever glue someone had used to hold the veneer that had at one time starting coming up.  They did an awful job.  It was bowing and...well I don't even know.

I lightly sanded her all over so that the paint would grip.  The glossy finish was chipping off in many areas.

I painted her in Antique White on the outside and inside the drawers and side doors she is painted in Smokey Slate by Behr. (I mixed my own version of "chalked" paint using calcium carbonate powder and the paint colors I used)


Once I had the top completely stripped I stained the top using Antique Black gel stain.  It took about 2 coats.  Once it had completely dried, I buffed it and then waxed it with a dark wax.



I lightly sanded the entire table using a 220 grit sandpaper and just let it naturally distress in areas that just came off.


I waxed the entire piece with CeCe Caldwells dark aging cream, lightly sanded, and then waxed with a clear wax and buffed.



The top drawer had a lined removable bottom that was a green velvet color.  I couldn't get the nasty velvet off fast enough.  It also had 2 wood separators.  I lined the bottom and wood separators with Premier Prints Amore Onyx/Natural.










I think she turned out just beautiful and can't wait for her to find a new home!

Linking up at -
The DIY Dreamer
Elizabeth and Co
Farmhouse Porch
Martys Musings
Kathe with an E
Ivy and Elephants
From My Front Porch To Yours - THT
Lilyfield Life: Paint Parade
The Shabby Creek Cottage - Transformation Thursday
DebbieDoos - Pinterest Blitz
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
Life on Lakeshore Drive
The Charm of Home - Home Sweet Home
Common Ground





Back to Top