Baby changing dresser turned rustic kitchen island

This has been a year in the making (or maybe longer).  I had flipped this island a while back, but hadn't finished the top of it.  And, then winter came & I couldn't sand outside.  Finally I got to it...on one of the most humid days yet.

I picked up this what once was a brand new baby changing table at an auction....for....keep reading...

On Fern Avenue

The 2 top side "fake drawers" were mismatched and they didn't work.  They were kinda strange the way they sat in the space.  There was no real drawer there, and they were attached with a hinge to swing out... I wish now I would've taken a picture because I can't even describe them.

It was at an auction that my husband actually attended with me... 1st and only :)   We were getting near the end, when this went up for auction.  Normally I don't purchase new furniture, but not one person bid on it.  I got it for $5.  Yup $5!!!

I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do with it.  Over time even though I loved our island, I needed drawer storage.  I was walking through the garage with that on my mind...and that thought stopped me dead in my tracks... I got it...

On Fern Avenue

I cleaned it up, filling hardware holes..  Prepping it for painting by lightly sanding it down.


On Fern Avenue

I knew I wanted to use a couple of different things like tin ceiling tiles, and some wood planks..

The entire dresser was painted a barn red color.  

On Fern Avenue

I used some old reclaimed wood planks, cleaned & sanded them and then added a variety of colors to add to the sides of the dresser.  

On Fern Avenue

Using my Modern Masters Metal Effects I changed up these shiny silver ceiling tins...

On Fern Avenue
Giving it a nice patina look... 


On Fern Avenue


We laid out the wood for the top... We wanted a slight overhang, but not too much.  

On Fern Avenue

 This is where life for the island came to a pause.  We had built the top and was ready for it to be attached.  We got busy with other things.  It was never finished.  The top wasn't attached and well it sat for a while.

One day I finally said I can't take it anymore.. I wanted to use the top without having a tablecloth over the top.  I pulled out my CeCe Caldwell's Stain+Finish all in one in Kukui.  I sanded the top smooth and then added 3 coats.


 No topcoat needed...it's in it.  Easy peasy fast and done!!!

All done and ready to be used...  My girls love to sit here to eat breakfast in the morning.

On Fern Avenue

On Fern Avenue

On Fern Avenue


On Fern Avenue

On the front 2 boards I used a little Unicorn SPiT stain to try it out when I first received my package from Michelle.  More to come on this fun product!!

On Fern Avenue

I am enjoying having the little extra storage that we use for table linens, to store our wine bottle opener, etc.  It's great to have the additional space for food when we have gatherings.

The fun thing is all in all including my materials this island cost me less than $50...that my friends makes my heart sing!!

On Fern Avenue

With much love, peace & happiness ~

Back to Top