Oh hello there lovely friends. I am super duper excited to be writing this post & telling you all about my shiplap floors I did in my office makeover.
When I set out to design the room the very first thing I said I wanted to do was shiplap flooring & to paint them. I knew I would be distressing them & making them look beat up, worn & aged! My vision was very clear...
Let's start with the list of things I used for this project.
Shiplap boards - Home Depot
Stain - already had
Antique White paint - already had
Randolph Gray (Benjamin Moore) - already had
Hardwood Floor Adhesive (Tongue & Groove adhesive)
Ryobi - Nail gun , miter saws, orbital & corner cat sander
Rockwell - Bladerunner
Wagner Flexio 590 Sprayer
Wagner Flexio 590 Sprayer
Most all of my supplies I had on hand except for the shiplap planks & the Benjamin Moore Floor & Patio Paint. Benjamin Moore provided the paint for this project.
This is the room before we started.. completely gutted! Of course we had to drywall and get everything else in place before we could start on the flooring.
Once the room was ready for the flooring to be laid, I laid out all of my boards by size. We picked up 8" wide planks in various lengths. We did 6, 8, 10 and 12 foot. This room is quite large & we'd be also carrying it through to the closet area (to the right).
I used both my Ryobi miter saw and blade runner by Rockwell to start making my cuts.
We also used the Ryobi Airstrike Nailer to nail the boards.. I will explain more on that in a bit.
The only issue was my miter saw wasn't the right size so we borrowed my brother-in-laws sliding saw & it got the job done!!
Ahhh that's better! This made making the cuts fast and easy peasy...
I really only needed to make cuts when I got to the end of the room. since I want to stagger the boards so the seams don't match up, just like laying regular hardwood.
We used tongue & groove adhesive on the bottom of each board as we laid it down, and then I hit it off with the nail gun to secure it.
It was pretty simple with 2 people doing the job. This ensured that we were able to get the boards lined up & in the grooves, plus having one make the cuts & the other laying it made the job much quicker.
Once we had the entire room finished, I used ebony stain... You'll see why in a moment.
I had a very brief moment of thinking I should leave it...it only last for a few seconds though. While I love dark floors, we have them throughout our house, it wasn't my vision for this room.
It was really humid out and so the dry time for the stain was a bit longer than normal. I even set up a fan to blow on it to help. But, the stain needed to be fully dry in order to move onto the next step or I would've had a mess.
I was then able to give a coat of antique white to the entire floor. It only took an hour or so to be fully dry.
The next thing I did was go over different areas, not the full floor with my Randolph Gray paint. I didn't take pictures of this part. Basically I just went over it in areas that I'd be distressing back to show the white & gray color. Having the dark stain under helps to not show the raw wood when you are creating the distress look. If this was a true old loft space, then the paint on the floors would naturally be wearing down, and you most likely wouldn't see true raw wood. But, since I am creating the look "unnaturally" I need the dark color under my paint to make the wood appear old.
Layers...it's all about the layers with the end result of the floors! Remember...old, worn & aged!
Before I put my final coat on, I wrapped up other things in the room. Not really being overly careful if a splatter made it on the floor... I wanted that worked over floor look.
My next & final coats (I did two to get it fully covered) I used my Wagner Flexio 590 & sprayed Winds Breath Floor & Patio paint over the entire floor. Winds Breath has a gray-ish tint to it..very slight but the exact amount for me to not have stark white floors.
This sprayer saved not only my back but major time. It took no time to spray the entire room! And, it worked wonderful with the paint.
I knew these floors would get used & even though I wanted them to have that used, worn, aged look, I still needed them to hold up. The Benjamin Moore Floor & Patio paint is a premium quality, quick-drying epoxy-modified acrylic floor enamel. I love how quick it dried & how durable it is. I have since dropped a few tools on it, and it has yet to fail me, there is a ding (which I love) here & there, but the paint didn't budge. I love that I didn't need to go over the floors with a polyurethane either to protect it!
Once I was done with the two coats & it was fully dry, I went in with my Ryobi orbital & corner cat sander to distress the floor..this is where the layers come in to play!
I love how the flooring turned out in this room!!! It's exactly the way I visioned the end result!
George says he agrees & finds it fun to sleep on them!!